Friday, July 10, 2009

It's almost time, right?!

No baby yet. He's still as snug as a bug in a rug. ;)

I'm 38 weeks and 5 days along today... I can hardly believe that he'll be here in no later than 3 weeks (although I'm hoping he comes sooner than that!) It's so exciting and I just can't wait to meet him! I can't wait to hold him and make sure he's okay. To hear his cry and to see his little face.

I can't wait to be able to roll over in bed again without it being a major production. To look at my feet and recognize them again. To be able to bend over to wash my own legs. I want my body back... even though it won't be back to normal, having this big ol' hard belly gone will be nice.

Pregnancy has been such a journey! The first four months pretty much sucked. Between the "morning" sickness I had and being absolutely exhausted, I was pretty miserable. Crying all the time. I thought it would never end. Then, the second trimester came and things eased up. I was able to eat again, even though I couldn't stand the thought of ground beef or pizza (and still can't.) I had lots of energy and was pretty happy, for the most part! Started to feel him move around... What an incredible feeling! I watched my belly get bigger and bigger and my hips wider and wider (didn't think they could GET any wider!) I watched my husband get a bit of a sympathy baby belly himself and learned just how much I depend on him.

Now that we're so close and that Max is running out of room in there, we don't get kicks as much as we get pushing and rolling. I mentioned to James last night how cool it was when we were first able to feel him from the outside... How hard we had to concentrate to feel him, at first. Now, I'm begging him to get those feet out of mommy's ribs or I'm pushing his little knee back from my side. I swear, I'm worried that this kid thinks he can get out by poking a hole in my tummy! No sense of direction... just like his daddy. ;)

I can't help but wonder if he's going to have the hiccups as much on the outside as he does on the inside (that must be from mommy.) If he's going to be a night owl, considering he tends to get active right about the time we bunk down for the evening. I wonder how big he's going to be and how tall... I think he's going to take after his dad and papa. I still wonder every day what he's going to look like. My ears? James' button nose? The dimples that I've loved on his daddy from the day I met him?

It's just this waiting game now. I still have to pack our bag and get it ready, because he could arrive at any time now. His clothes are all washed and put away. We will install the carseat tonight (how weird is that going to be... driving around with carseat and a "baby on board" sign?!) We'll do a slight rearrangement of the bedroom so we can get the cradle in next to our bed. I'll get our birth plan written up today. Next week will be our last prenatal appointment until we're officially overdue. We'll have our last date night this weekend (to celebrate our wedding anniversary!) So, we're going to be 100% ready after this weekend.

It's still so surreal that I'm here. Finally. I can't wait to be Max's mommy. I can't wait to see James as a daddy. I can't help but smile when I think of the moments when we'll have Max tucked in between us, watching cartoons on a Saturday morning. The look on his face when he meets Santa for the first time or the first time he sees the snow fall. Feeling his little hands explore my face, learning who I am. Comparing his little face to the face of the man I love more than anything in this world. Imagining the first time James is able to slap a helmet on his little head for his first ride on daddy's motorcycle... and worrying myself sick, I'm sure!

Max, mommy and daddy love you so much. You are a blessing to us and we're so lucky to have you. You will never know just how much you mean to us already. We can't wait to meet you and welcome you to this big, crazy world!

No comments:

Post a Comment